Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, July 10, 2006

SILVER SCREEN SOFERET

בס"ד
14 Tamuz


I finally had a chance to review the latest documentary I'm in (number 3, with a 4th to be filmed this summer in Jerusalem), by LA resident & fellow Canadian Judy Kriger. Check out her very cool animation & movie site, Media Garden, here.

"Write For Yourselves" is a really clear, informative, fun & inspirational story of Jewish scribal arts in general, Torah scrolls in particular. Judy's passion draws you into her film & keeps you there with the characters she chose to interview (I am the least of them) & the cracking good animation component.

Sofer ST"M Ron Sieger makes an appearance & gives over some great Midrash & Halakahah. He also has the courage to speak of the fraud commonly practiced by "sofrim" these days. I'm a big fan of his now :)

You can meet the scribes & watch a short clip of me talking about Amaleyq. Hmm...this seems to be a recurring theme in my life (see this post).

The crit I have of my appearance has nothing to do with the film maker, only with myself. I have to admit that my first impression of myself was totally vain: "wow - look at how heavy I was!" (I've lost 35 lbs since the interview 18 months ago). I also thought I said "um" & "y'know" too much, so...not so eloquent. But that's for me to correct in future interviews & teaching.

My favourite part of the film was when R' Mel Gottlieb said,

"There're different Midrashim, different Rabbinic teachings related to how the Torah was revealed to Moses & how it was created by Moses in relationship with his encounter with G@d, with the Divine Force. & one of the Midrashim suggests that G@d showed Moses all the letters & Moses arranged the letters according to his consciousness at the time. The implication of that is that when consciousness changes over time, perhaps the letters can be re-arranged in some way in terms of Messianic-type consciousness. For example, the Zohar speaks about a Torah of King David in the sense of a Messianic Torah where some of the root letters might be re-arranged & we will understand the concepts differently, so therefore concepts, attitudes toward women, attitudes toward non-Jews might have a more universal, respectful type of acceptance of the uniqueness of each. & then there's a quaint Midrash that says that we often read the Torah incorrectly, because if you read the Torah correctly, it's actually one whole Name of G@d."

So...three cheers for Judy, Ron & Mel!

Enjoy the Full Moon tonight! Go out & howl at her!




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aviel are u still in town? let me know.

3:19 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Yes, I am - you free this Sunday?
:)

6:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google