Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

MORE WOOD CARVING & LEAFING


ShdiMezuzah
Originally uploaded by soferet.
BS"D


Well, we made it home. The 5-hour drive from Joel's old home to our new one was pretty good, considering this is the worst cold I've had since the Carter Administration. & I'm using that reference as a courtesy to my American readers. I used to have no Americans in my life - even up until 10 years ago, there weren't really any, except ones who were Canadian citizens living in Canada (read: draft dogers). But in the past 7 years, whoa. Now my life is *full* of Americans - I'm even married to one! Am I going on too long about this? Sorry, I just still find it quite disorienting spending so much time in the USA...I just never thought my life would be quite like this & I'm still getting used to it.

Besides, if I'd said, "The worst cold I've had since the Trudeau government", that would just be confusing to my fellow Canucks, as he was in power from before I was born until I was in grade 11! (Apologies to Joe Clark. Joe Who? ;+>)

Anyway, we stopped in Tacoma (see lyrics for "South Tacoma Way" by Neko Case) & then in to see Fern & Scott in Seattle while Joel tried to find his certificate of birth (for immigration to Canada). It was really good to see them. & Elisha. & Isis the rottweiler & her "mommy".

It was much longer than the drive down, because we had a 4-hour stop in Olympia to watch the Academy Awards with Joel's dad at the Capitol Theatre. It was such a hoot! They have all these framed original 1950's magazine ads in the ladies' room - you know the tyope of old cinema, the kind with the restroom lounge. We don't lounge near toilets anymore, it seems.

I suspect that I might be writing a bit crazy still, because of this awful cold...

Anyway, once we got home I could actually take the homeopathic cold remedy (salt) which I'd been longing for! YAY! I won't be killing acres of trees to wipe my nose anymore!

So I've been sleeping much better now & feeling better, too. B"H.

I'm able to better focus on the Megilah now, & much to my delight, I received the March Opus newsletter & their gouache is on sale! & I got 2 coupons for "anything" at Loomis , so I'll be in to pick up the rest of the supplies I need for the painting & gold leafing & other finishing touches.

In the meantime, I'm going to further research the holy name "Shadai"...

Shabbat shalom

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you think it's related to shadai'im (breasts)? i've heard this a couple of times, though not from frum people. but it's also the hebrew word i know that looks the closest.... shed (ghost) is spelled the same way, though, right? i have been amused by the possibility of breast/ghost puns.

we need two mezuzot for our house, apparently, but just the scrolls; we've got the cases.

1:44 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
I think it's undoubtedly related to Sh-D-H, & am composing a blog on that in my head. I didn't know about the "ghost" shoresh being the same, so I'll have to research that too. What do you know abou tit?
I don't have any mezuzot written & waiting at this time, but when I'm through the work I'm currently doing I'll write some more. If you can't wait, then that's ok - more important that you have them asap.

7:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google