Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

TEAR APART THE ENMESHED

בס"ד
20 Tevet


Below is the sister image to one one previously posted:

inside

"Inside Breyshit" copyright A. Barclay

Speaking of tearing apart, there was another bomb in Israel today. Joel is ok, so I offer my deep gratitiude to Ha-Rachaman, The Merciful One.
Thank G@d nobody was murdered, but remember the injured & pray for them.

I spent the better part of today in Richmond, repairing a Sefer Torah. It was missing several of the qlaf (parchment) reinforcers at the top & bottom of the backs of the seams, so I went to great lengths cutting new ones to match the size & shape of the existing ones. There were also a couple of tiny holes I patched as well as a really small tear at the top of a yeri'ah (sheet of parchment) which I sealed up so that it wouldn't worsen. A stitch in time, after all...

After doing the stain removal, I packed up & headed home in the dark Pacific Coast rain.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least as beautiful as the other one, if not more so. (But then, it's my favorite parasha, with all the fascinating midrash packed into it :-)

4:43 a.m.  
Blogger Regina said...

Yes, thanks to G-d your husband is safe and I pray for all those injured as well... and I love when you post pictures of your work- it's inspiring!

6:27 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Magid: really? I'd love to hear more about that.

Regina: Ha-Shem yish'mereyhu vi-ychayeyhu ve-ushar b-aretz. Ameyn ve-kheyn yehi ratzon - The Eternal will preserve him & keep him alive & he will be happy on earth. Amen so may it be.

6:48 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
BTW, this painting is for sale, both the original & prints!

11:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google