Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, September 23, 2005

STUDENT TESTIMONIALS

בס"ד

19 Elul

I just got a large envelope containing the opinions of the ShalhevetYah students I taught at the end of July. These are some excerpts of the lovely things my students at the ALEPH Kallah had to say in their anonymous Teacher Evaluation forms:


"Aviel is an enthusiastic, energetic teacher. She loves what she does and is talented in showing people how to feel competent about engaging in calligraphy."

"She did a beautiful job of teachng students of widely varied backgrounds, and of combining technical information with stories illuminating why pieces of Torah are written a certain way, and of sharing insights into sofer work. WONDERFUL!"

"Aviel is an amazing calligrapher & scribe. She also knows an enormous amount about Judaism, Torah, philosophy, reality, life & our relationship to Talmud."

"Focused a lot more on calligraphy and glanced over mystical significance - she did do a good job of explaining the large/small letters written in the Torah."

"A lovely intro. Look forward to continuing on my own."

"I wish this was a "double" class: morning 2 hrs. plus afternoon 2 hrs. Since we have only 4 days of class."

"Have this again! Wonderful. A little chaotic first day - too much chatter from students but improved every day. Lovely starting script & handouts for more difficult script. Great midrash on large, small, backwards letters in Torah. Sending out e-mail b4 was great - gave us time to collect supplies and (re)read books. Excellent encouragement to "play" with letters & materials."


...& my personal favourite:

"טוב מאד"

(tov me'od = very good)


Barukh HaShem - praise G@d - for this naches :D
I feel a little boastful publishing these, but then if I don't promote myself then what will draw work into our home, so that we can support ourselves? I mean aside from G@d...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google