Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

BLOG POLICY

בס"ד


1. This blog's raison d'être is to express almost everything that I think about Judaism in general, sofrut in specific. The "almost" part is important because some parts of Torah I feel private about or not sufficiently educated in & will not comment on in this venue. However, I look for Torah in every experience that I have, & this may find its way into my blog, so be warned :)

2. I will discuss specific issues I am processing or have overcome while developing my path or general events that are important personally & professionally like assisting other women in gaining certification, further training, or ?who knows?. I believe very strongly in Jews sharing Torah together.

3. I will try to maintain a balance between Halakhic issues, politics, humour, & personal matters. Since my work is inseperably intertwined with my life, my blog might appear a bit corporate at times, but this is essentially a personal account. I reserve the right to post on any topic, though, as a mamash great Rebbe once said: "life happens".

4. I wish my journalling here to reflect a transparent experience for my readers. As I am not a "blog purist", I reserve the right to edit or delete the contents of my blog. Having said this, I will do this only to:
- correct spelling errors
- add or update links & posts (which will be labelled as such)
- remove highly offensive material like cursing, dirty talk or other abusive speech, including that which does not further the discussion
- remove advertisements, spam, lashon hara (gossip) & motzey shem ra (lies)

5. Even though all the uncredited content of this blog is my own, I freely acknowledge that I am influenced by others. If I do not know who to credit for an idea, image, or quote, etc, that I use in this blog, then I will say so.

6. If I find out I am mistaken on an issue, I will add an update to the post or comments once I have a chance to properly research the topic regardless of how old it is. I am also not so web- or blog-savvy, as I write with a feather on skin for a living, so I ask for your patience while I learn & experiment. I am human just like you, so please show compassion & give me the benefit of the doubt.

7. The views expressed within this site are mine. Although I am an Orthodox Jew, I do not represent Orthodox Judaism. As I am not a rabbi, I do not pretend to have authority beyond my smichat sofrut & I do not give p'sak Halakhah (Jewish legal rulings). Please remember that I am just a soferet trying to make a living, a beynoni (average person) like many of you out there.

Addendum

8. As I have a very full life, sometimes it takes me time to get around to posting something I have written. In those cases I either post "in the present" & add the date of the piece at the top of it, or I post it "retroactively" by altering the date when I publish the post, depending on the content, etc.

9. Since I'm your average Gen-Xer who wasn't raised Orthodox, don't be surprised if I randomly rattle off phrases like "...the Chassidut of Jackie Chan..."

Addendum PLUS+

10. a nod to Little Green Footballs: "Comments are open and unmoderated, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Little Green Footballs. Obscene, abusive, silly, or annoying remarks may be deleted, but the fact that particular comments remain on the site in no way constitutes an endorsement of their views by Little Green Footballs." Or, in my case, Netivat Sofrut...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, this is a helpful post to read. You've helped encourage me to post my own policies. (And I also appreciate the link and your kind words on my blog, thanks!)

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Hey, thanks, Kaspit! I'm really glad. I should credit this site for the inspiration, tho'...

9:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google