Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, July 03, 2006

SOVIET CANUCKISTAN

בס"ד
7 Tamuz


Still basking in the glow of the Canada Day long weekend (we're 139 years old now!), I'm throwing out some really cool sites at you:

Darren Barefoot, a techie dude who writes about Canada here & Vancouver here. Other stuff too. I never comment on his blog, but I love it.

George Rizsanyi is a luthier - that is, master guitar-maker (& other stringed instruments as well) - with clients like Peter Gabriel. Inspired by Quebec's efforts to separate in the 90's, he built a "guitar of national unity", just completed last month. In the 10 years he's taken to make the instrument, he has collected historically significant elements to form & decorate it (including a piece from the Rocket Richard's Stanley Cup ring! Wah!). I missed seeing the documentary, since it was only on Shabbat, but check out the CBC story. It made me weep.

The Tyee is a great online source for BC fetishists who want one-stop shopping: news, politics, culture, arts & hedonism.

Bill Casselman is a hilarious, yet informative, author on Canadian lingo, food & culture. I highly recommend his books. Or you can just take a gander at his site.

Best. TV. Show. Evah.

DSCF0104
BTW, those books in the upper left bearing the library stickers are not stolen. This set of Talmud was discarded in the Los Angeles Jewish Community Library Board of Jewish Education purge of '99.




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the plug.

12:12 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
My pleasure, Darren. Thanks for writing such a cool blog :)

12:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that photo -- the combination of patriotism and tzitzit is truly charming!

As far as great Canadian TV shows go, I'm very excited because I just got my copy of the miniseries Slings and Arrows, which I can't wait to show to several local friends. I don't know how popular it actually was in Canada, but I adored it...

6:35 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Wow, Rachel - I've never even heard of Slings and Arrows (but I found it here)! It looks really good. Anything with Paul Gross or Mark McKinney is bound to be really good. I'd love to see it (don't have cable), so it's now on my list of DVDs to rent - thanks!

...& I'm glad to have charmed you with my patriotism. It's driven more than one American friend or partner away :)

I just couldn't resist! It's so over the top!
:D

1:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google