Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A DAY AT THE BEACH

בס"ד
8 Tamuz


For Steg & Treppenwitz:
DSCF0105
If you click on the pic, you can read it up close, for those of you who want to the details of this dimer. Inspired by the comments on this post...

...Years ago, when I went to Nishmat, we learned the bit in the Talmud where it discusses tziztit & the chilazon. At the end, we went on a tiyul to Dor, where we had the whole tekheles experience courtesy of P'til Tekhelet. I was converted! HalleluYah! We actually MADE IT ON THE BEACH! Sand, picnic table, bunsen burner, beaker, water, Murex, wool...

The whole experience was amazing. Heat water in beaker on bunsen burner. Add murex gland (which is a totally unreal colour, btw). Stir. Add wool. Stir. Add lye. Stir. Fish now unattractively-coloured yellow wool out of beaker with chopstick. Pour fresh water over sopping yellow wool & voila! Tekhelet! It was like magic!

Our guide was one of those surley 18-year-old dati girls doing her sherut le'umi (national service): long denim skirt, amber skin, dark hair pulled back in a tight pony tail. & she was wearing this shirt. I asked her where I could buy one (because let's face it - one never has enough t-shirts with Jewish content) & she beckoned to me to follow her into the public bathroom at the beach. "20 sheqel", she stated. I pulled out my cash. She took off this shirt right there & handed it to me.




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

4 Comments:

Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Whoa, that's so cool (both the tekheilet story and the t-shirt... uh... story)!

I've always wanted to do a live tekheilet demonstration.

10:17 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Oh, it was the best! I even got to take a piece of the wool home. I'll never forget that day.
Highly recommend it. The dye demo, that is ;)

11:42 p.m.  
Blogger treppenwitz said...

HMMM... Most of the sherut le'umi girls I know are actually quite nice (and certainly not surly).

But I'm waiting for the rest of the story... did this Dati girl end up waking around for the rest of the day in her long skit... and a bra? :-)

2:21 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
No, she had another, smaller shirt tucked into her skirt somehow. Still a good story, though, even without the "mature subject matter".

3:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google