Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

SEPARATION

בס"ד
19 Tevet

One of my very most favourite of days. But my most fave when it falls on the Winter Solstice.
Around that time I sold this:

outside1

"Outside Breyshit" copyright A. Barclay; watercolour & ink on 300lb cold pressed Arches 100% cotton acid-free archival paper

The first word in the Torah has six letters. I painted a scene of each of the six days of Creation in behind each of the letters. On each successive day G@d made further differentiations & boundaries, separating holy out of holy out of holy.

Tehilim/Psalm 118:24: "This is the day that Yah has made, we will rejoice & be glad in it."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful!

4:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous.

4:53 a.m.  
Blogger Talmida said...

We love it so much, Aviel! It's matted on dark blue, almost purple -- the same colour as the darkest Night in the ב and the ש.

I think I mentioned in my email that I was going to hang it above my mantle, but it was too high and I couldn't see all the details. So we moved a few other things around and now it hangs at eye־level in the center of our house, between the kitchen and the family room, and every day I see something new in it.

֬We've had so many comments and compliments on it! It was the best Christmas present my Beloved could have given me.

Thank you, again. :)

8:02 a.m.  
Blogger Regina said...

You are so talented, Aviel! And blessed to do such beautiful work in G-d's name...

5:33 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
[blush]
Thank you all so much for your sweet compliments. Thank G@d, Torah is hugely inspirational, so it's easy to open up & let the piece paint itself.

Talmida, I'm really pleased that you & your Beloved are so enjoying it :)
What you've done with it sounds fab.

10:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google