Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, October 05, 2003

MY CREDENTIALS

BS"D

As of today I have completed my training in how to write Sifrei Torah. Tomorrow night, after breaking the fast, my sofer will give me my paper stating so. G@d is great.

My credentials will be as follows:
A soferet certified to write Sifrei Torah by an Orthodox Ashkenazi sofer ST"M of 26 years who was trained & certified in Me'a She'arim & Ge'ulah. A mentor who has gradually midwifed me through this process since the mid-90's. He wishes to remain anonymous for now. He also requested that I not publish the name of his mentor on this blog.
Further mentored in the Kabbalah of the Hebrew letters by Rabbi Dov Laimon, a Bostoner Chasid & sofer ST"M.

I cannot express how grateful I am to G@d, nor how petrified I feel at this heavy responsibility. May awe & humility guide me.

...orach yamim...

[Addendum: under the careful supervision of both my sofrim I have learned out of the following standard sofrut texts: Liqutey Sifrei STaM which includes Qeset Ha-Sofer, Lishkat Ha-Sofer, Qol Sofrim, Shoneh Halakhot, etc; Mishnat Sofrim, Mishnah Berurah, Masekhet Sofrim. Under their tutelage I formed my letters, cut my quill & scored my parchment, B"H.]




Technorati tags: , , , ,, , , , , , , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google