Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

*ALL* YOUR CHILDREN

BS"D


“And All Your Children Shall Be Learned” Women and the Study of Torah in Jewish Law and History"> – Shoshana Pantel Zolty
1993 Jason Aaronson

P 145
There is also indirect mention of a... female scribe in the Genizah documents: we are told that the Jewish community of Daquq (today called Tawuq), Iraq, was headed by Azarya, ‘son of the female copyist.’ He was praised by the Hebrew poet Judah al-Harizi for his noble descent and character as well as his munificence.”*

* Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. 2, p.184

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Julie just told me about a scribbled comment found on the back of a many-centuries-old Torah scroll, something to the effect of "I'm sorry if my penmanship is a bit off, but I'm so tired from nursing my infant son. . ." Very cool. This was probably cited in the Gotein book . . .?

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Carole, shalom! So sorry it's taken me this long to respond to your comment :(
The quote you have there is from the Jewish Foremothers book I cite in various posts here in my blog. There is an unnamed woman who wrote such a thing on one of her books, which has not, to my knowledge, been identified as a Torah scroll. There is also a similar comment written on what has been referred to as a Chumash scribed by Miriam, daughter of Benayahu the sofer, a few hunfded years ago in the Yemen.
I am still researching the history of a female sofrut tradition. It's slow going, but I have been turning up likely candidates for the title "soferet" for some time now.

Very exciting!

9:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google