Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, December 27, 2004

THE PRACTICALITIES OF DISORDERLINESS

BS"D


Writing has been slow today (again :+[) but with not so many breaks. My focus has been better as well, barukh haShem. I've really been enjoying writing the shir (song) amudim (columns) in Ha'azinu (the last Parsha/portion of the Torah). I've done the first set & it's been very interesting & challenging to map out all the spacing & watch the layout unfold. It's similar to the tiqun, so I'm happy about that.

& about the first entry below: as I've stated before, I'm not writing this Sefer from start to finish; I'm writing it as the yeri'ot (sheets) are sent me. Ha'azinu is a good example, because the scoring on the parchment is different for it than for anywhere else in the whole Torah. So I will write the whole thing (G@d willing), but not in order. That's one rule that applies to mezuzas & tefilin which does not apply to Sifrei Torah. You *have* to write the first two in order & are not allowed to correct, otherwise they are pasul (not kosher for use). But, thank G@d, a Sefer one can write in whatever order one chooses.

*phew*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you watching Court Jester??? ;)

the pestle with the vessel
has the brew that is true.

er, the pellet with the poison
is in the flagon with dragon.

No, the fellet with the choison
is in the dalice from the... oh, never mind.

:)
Alissa

8:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's weird. Why did my comment show up under the wrong post? Hmmm...
A2

8:24 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Actually, I was! Were you as well?
That movie brings back sacred childhood memories of accidentally finding a gem like that on the 11 o'clock (am) movie on channel 11 Sundays. I was enchanted. I was 6.
Did you ever see "A Song is Born"? That movie he did where he played a shy, geeky composer? Tommy Dorsey, Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Barnet& Mel Powell were all in it, playing themselves & AMAZING music!

11:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow (hey, is that an Exodus reference?)! I can't believe I've never seen that movie and I LOVE jazz!

And of *course* I was watching Court Jester. There are a few "must see" movies in my family and Court Jester is most definitely one of them (along with "A Christmas Story" Go figure). Of course, these movies are best viewed with my family with a lot of scotch. :)
A2

7:08 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Really? What kind of scotch?
:)

9:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google