Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, December 27, 2004

BLAH

BS"D


It's a real challenge for me to remain closely engaged with my work today. I re-cut my quill before I began work & it looked good, but I discovered as I wrote that unless I kept *exactly* the correct angle with each stroke, the wide ones were too thin & the thin ones were too wide. So there was not the contrast ideal for well executed ST"M. After battling with the quill to discover what I'd done to my instrument to cause it to behave this way, I realised that it was because the very tip was just a hair too thin. In other words, I'd sharpened it too much & it didn't retain it's shape under the pressure I put on it. It kept bending, but it was subtle, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on mechanically. I cut it again. This is one of the disadvantages of not having a mentor near me who I can consult with.

I've also been taking frequent breaks today, partly because my writing isn't at it's very best & I find that discouraging (I'm the sort who doesn't have patience with the "off days" we all have) & partly because I've had trouble deepening my focus. Very distractable today...so I keep breaking & re-centre-ing so that my mind is in Sefer Torah space.

All this being said, I'm pleased to report that I've written all or part of the following Parshiyot: Haazinu, Bo, Shoftim, Vayechi, Pinchas, Mishpatim, Piqudey, Sh'mot, Yitro, Va'eira & Ki Teytzey.

& then I look at the news & see thousands of souls have drowned & left this world. Why does G@d make tsunamis?
Is writing a Torah useless in the face of death or is it all the more vital?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google