Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

POLITICS, SCHMOLITICS

BS"D
22 Tamuz


Today I put the finishing touches on a Sefer Torah I'm working on. So, thank G@d for that, but I still have "miles to go before I sleep".
Let's see:
Buy health insurance; pick up gifts for my Jerusalem house mates; purchase or borrow a power adaptor; get my last will & testament signed & witnessed by two people who are not beneficiaries...

Things have been just nuts the past while, between the divorce & most of my technology breaking down & preparing - mentally, physically & spiritually - for this trip. Especially hard with what's been going on there recently. G@d willing the violence will end pronto & by a just means. I plan to catch up on all the work I'm behind in while in Israel. I'm teaching in the evenings, so that leaves my days "free" to fulfill my sofrut obligations to clients.

CTV reported on Sunday that 8 Lebanese Canadians were killed in the assault on southern Lebanon. So tragic. My question for the anchorwoman is: Why bother saying they're immigrants to Canada? Much as people can have bi-cultural identities, a Canadian is a Canadian. It's like making a difference between a Jew who was born of a Jewish mother & a Jew who converted through miqveh. Not cool, lady. At least immigrants & converts are vetted before they're allowed in!

There are now many French voices rising in Montreal shouting anti-Semitic rhetoric. Quelle suprise.

I think Mr MacKay could have acted faster to get Canadians (regardless of their country of birth) out of Lebanon. I did not vote for Mr Harper, but I appreciate his position on the current crisis. However, I still think he's a danger to Canada, the likes we haven't seen since the country was Mulroney-ized.

Just read an article about Stephen Harper paying a political price for
coming out more strongly in favour of Israel's right to defend herself. Some Canucks are saying that Harper is Bush's lapdog; others are saying that our government must be politically neautral at all times in order to be taken seriously as peacekeepers & negotiators. I understand this: ever since Canada came up with the idea of UN peacekeeping (which ended the Suez Crisis & earned our then Secretary of State & later Prime Minister Lester Pearson the Nobel Peace Prize), this has been a dear part of Canadian identity.

My question is: when you see a wrong being done in the world, at what point do you decry it? Is it not required by Torah to speak up immediately & correct the crime being perpetrated?

From Aaron:

Politicians are keenly aware of public opinion, so whether or not you vote Conservative it can only help Israel to have more people telling the Canadian government that there are people who appreciate his position on this issue.

Here's how to call his [the PM's] office:

* Call 613-992-4211 [toll free]
* Someone will answer, just say you want to express your opinion about Israel.
* They'll transfer you ... the phone will ring a few times.
* They'll say "we can't take your call right now, leave us a message"
* Leave message.

:)


& tomorrow I shall head for the Holy Land...




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google