Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

IN FLIGHT

בס"ד
24 Tamuz


Had a layover in Toronto on my way to Israel, & found myself wandering through Pearson (the airport there) enjoying the public art on display. One was for a local theatre group. There was a magnificent white framed steed created from rope & held together with white paint (or so it seemed), Gandalf's ride from their production of The Lord of the Rings:

Shadowfax - Gandalf's horse

They were also doing a play based on the life of a girl who was murdered in the Holocaust, named Hanna Brady. These are some of the costumes & props, including a yellow "Jude" star & a replica of her suitcase:

DSCF0108

Excuse the bright reflections of the airfield in the glass - but I think these snaps look kind of cool anyway...

I tried to get in touch with family, with Avrum, with the Zuckerbrots, to no avail. I should catch up with Judy Kriger as well, about the new doc & other work matters. See? Now I'm not on vacation anymore! What a short trip this has been.

I see many Jews around me praying in the warm staccato that is Hebrew - Mincha in Terminal 1.

I overheard the man next to me on his cel to a friend in Israel - he got a $168 return flight Toronto/Tel Aviv. It's so cheap now because of the fighting. Health insurance is no good, either, if you're injured or killed by an act of war or terrorism. He'd heard that a rocket had landed only 70 metres from his house in the north, so was on his way to check it out. His wife didn't want him to go. These are troubling times.

Sleep eludes me. Must remember to confirm my registration with the Canadian Embassy once I'm in Israel.

Thank G@d I'm returning to The Land...


Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the reflections make the photographs even lovelier and more interesting. (I have a small photoset at flickr called "reflections" dedicated to just this kind of thing...)

Travel safely!

12:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google