Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

THE OLD 'HOOD

בס"ד
28 Tamuz


I spent an awful lot of today running around, trying to figure out how to pay my rent here & change money & fight with my ATM card, which has decided it's Anti-Semitic.

In my wanderings, I found myself back in Emeq Refa'im, so I took a few snaps of my old stomping grounds...

Here's the driveway leading up to my old flat when I last lived here, on Ha-Tzefirah:

Soferet's Old Digs

I'll let the Hebrew speakers enjoy the graffiti, but I ain't translating it on this blog, nosiree. I agree with the concept, but the way it's expressed is...shall we say...less than family-friendly :)

& here is the little shul I lived right next door to, but which I could never pray at because there was no women's section (& you really need one when you have genders sharing space in a garage):

No Room for Soferet

After taking care of all sorts of business-type things (like exhausting my Bezeq card at the public phones because there's no line in the apartment & figuring out my internet situation here, argh), I went to visit my buddy Gilan. He's a good egg. We caught up over amazing shwarma - which he treated me to, because my ATM card is a Nazi - & went for a walk.

Later, we met up with the many Vancouver Chassidim who populate Jerusalem. Here we are at Cafe Ne'eman:

Vancouver Chasidim in Jerusalem
This photo courtesy Jeff Nider (thanks, Jeff!).

That's Gilan, Jeff & Elizabeth, Tamara, Yours Truly & Emily (not R' Ross' wife - different Emily).
Ain't we a handsome group?
Same folks, moved:

Soferet & Friends at Cafe Ne'eman!

It's so great to connect with Yidden from The Old Country.
G'nite!




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

6 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

How 'bout that! Familiar faces! Yidden from the Old Country indeed!

7:22 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Hey, Evenewra!

10:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, when you live on Ha-Tzefirah, did you know Stephanie and Ari? That looks like their driveway.

8:46 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
No, sorry, I didn't. That driveway leads to my old apartment, above an office/garage & next to the home of Dr Daniel Wiener, proctologist. I'm not kidding. He was hilarious.

6:07 a.m.  
Blogger Evenewra said...

Hey right back at you!

8:41 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
:D
I owe you an e-mail!
Soon, G@d willing/bli neder, soon...I miss you guys.

12:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google