Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, March 31, 2006

COMMON GROUND

בס"ד
2 Nisan


I read this in a Westender Sarah Silverman interview as I waited to fly east for my latest teaching tour:


"My guess is that because we were all girls, there was no sense of any difference between the sexes, in that we weren't defined by any male peers in our household, so we defined ourselves freely."

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm the youngest of 5 girls. I also went to an all-girls school from grade 6 on. There are definite advantages for girls when we are allowed to form an all-female social/peer group, particularly during adolescence when most of us get pulled off centre by the mere presence of males. Don't get me wrong, I love men, but girls need to learn how to grow into women who aren't threatened by each other's accomplishments & who have no desire to sabotage women's lives through competition or indirect aggression (the "other woman", for example). Strengthen the sisterhood!

Shabbat shalom!




Technorati tags: , , , ,, , , , , , , .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aviel -- I'm not sure if my emails are reaching you, so am posting a comment here just in case. I am looking so forward to meeting you tomorrow! I will come to the coffee shop you suggested, and hope to be there by 3:45. Yay!

6:05 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Hey, Rachel -
I had such a terrific time with you last week! I could have yakked with you for hours more, too. Thanks so much for making the time & taking the trip to Saratoga Springs to meet while I was there. If you're ever in my neighbourhood, please consider my home as yours :)

6:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google