Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

MATCHMAKER, MATCHMAKER...

בס"ד
23 Adar


When "Fiddler on the Roof" came out in 1971, I was a little girl wandering around in the Fiesta, my Dad's movie theatre in Nanaimo. I watched that movie literally hundreds of times. After all, I wasn't in school yet, so why not watch a film about Jews of the Pale at the turn of the century over & over & over again?
Thanks to the brilliant, humanist directing of Norman Jewison & Chaim Topol being the true embodiment of Tevye the milkman, I am now a frum yid & a soferet to boot.

Thanks, guys :D

I memorized the whole movie & all of it's songs. I danced to it & acted it out. I loved Tevye. & I wanted to be like him when I grew up.
So imagine my surprise when I found this delightful internet quiz & discovered that I did not, in fact, grow up to be Tevye:

I am Chava!



Take the Fiddler on the Roof quiz at ChaiSpace.com


Well, I *am* daughter #3 (of my mother's - #4 of my father's). & I admit to being a bit of a rebel. & I do read an awful lot. & not so great at folding fitted sheets. But other than that, I'm not so much like her, I didn't think. I'm obviously way too serious like her, too :b
Not to be outdone, I took it again, this time adopting the male gender. Who am I?

(drum roll...)

I am Tevye!



Take the Fiddler on the Roof quiz at ChaiSpace.com


YAY! I can die happy now :D




Technorati tags: , , , ,, , , , , , , , , .

6 Comments:

Blogger Avrum68 said...

I love this story, more than the movie itself. It's the kind of story I'd ask you to tell over and over at the Shabbos table.

I did the same with my Zaiyde. Though I'd ask him to repeat, over and over: "The children of the night, what music they make". His Polish accent did it justice. Bela would be proud.

3:06 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Aw, Av you make me smile so broad :D
To be honest, if I'd written the story of my own life, it wouldn't be the way it is right now, but G@d has His/Her own ideas about what must be. All people have their stories, & G@d is hiding in between the lines.
You tell deeply beautiful stories, too. I wish we were still neighbours...
...& I love when you do an impression of your Zaiyde.

5:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Chava too, apparently.

And what do you know, that's my real Hebrew name.

11:33 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Tzeitl was so great - big sister rebel! Without her courage to insist on marrying a poor tailor, Hodel would never have had the courage to leave their family to marry a Communist & Chavah wouldn't have had the courage to leave their family to marry a Christian!

Yay - let's hear it for Chavalehs...

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Regina said...

This is great, Aviel! I'm Tzeitel- and I am so proud. I am going to link to this on my blog!

7:11 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Another Tzeitl! Yay!
I wonder if "Tzeitl" share the same shoresh/root as Tzadi-Yud-Tav, to be obedient or docile - sounds like a traditional daughter's name...
Thanks for the link :)

4:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google