Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

MERCY

בס"ד
18 Sh'vat


My good friend Cigal at Nefesh B'Nefesh sent me a link to the Halachic Organ Donor Society today. It's a really informative site about how not only is it permitted for Jews to donate their organs, but it's actually mandated. HODS counts rabbis such as Dr Norman Lamm, Dov Linzer, Dr Shlomo Riskin & Yaacov Warhaftig among its members. The organization offers detailed Halakhic reasoning accepted by the majority of widely respected Israeli & American rabbis, speaks to religious concerns about resurrection of the flesh as well as addresses common Jewish cultural superstitions surrounding organ donation.

I signed up.

The Hebrew word for internal organs is ever, Alef-Yud-Bet-Reysh. The word avir - powerful, strong, mighty - has the same letters! So these two words have the same gematria, which is 213. 213 also stands for Chesed Elah D'El, loosely translating as the Supernal Mercy of HaShem.

So check out this web site. Learn how you can take this opportunity to perform one of the greatest mitzvot, piku'ah nefesh - saving a life - or several lives depending on how much of your body you consent to donate. It's free. Show G@d's mercy to the blind, to those on dialysis, those dying for a liver. Remember that The Holy One could put you in their place at any time. & if at some point one of us can't go on living, if we gift them with the strength of our healthy organs, at least they will be able to.


Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! I did too. :)

7:12 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

??"?
Yay! :D

7:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It can take quite a while for the registration process to complete and receive the information.

5:31 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Oh, really? That's too bad. Thanks for the warning, Ruth. Maybe it's because millions of Jews are signing up & they're just totally overwhelmed? ;)

Hopefully nothing will happen to me before I get my card in the mail. It would be a shame for my intention to be wasted.

Altho' in BC, I think the next of kin has the right to refuse organ donation, even if the brain-dead adult in question has an organ donor card. But what can you do?

I've been thinking of becoming an organ donor for a really long time, but what stopped me was the combination of carrying a regular BC donor card plus my family knowing nothing about how to proceed Jewishly. A HODS card specifically requires the donor's rabbi be present before doctors are allowed to act, t=so that's what tipped the scale for me.

8:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google