Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

OH, WHAT A LOVELY SHABBES!

BS"D


(My apologies to the authors of "Oh, What a Lovely War".

crop circle tree-of-life.jpg

I'm sorry, I have no idea who took this pic. Just can't resist the crop circles...

Wowee, Shabbes was a trip this week, man. We should get out to these little pockets of Jewish light more often! We were late (as usual) getting into town, but thankfully far in advance of candle lighting. We stayed with Sherri & Neal & their kids, who were magically terrific. Got to know each other over dinner, had a fabulous time & then retired to the groovy attic loft to sleep off all the travel & get ready for our 5-mile walk to the synagogue tomorrow...with no eruv...

...what would Reb Shlomo do???

The walk was really beautiful - I forget sometimes that Vancouver, green & oceany as it is, still often smells like a big city. Nothing but fresh air here, flowers, plants, sea...
The folks at shul were so friendly. Joel's dad came & everything. They welcomed my vort & we sat down to lunch together. Quite a colourful bunch. Funny, too. That "old guy" sense of humour which I love.

5 miles back & along the water. It was breezy, but totally gorgeous. Talked about community, Jews, schooling kids, volunteering. There was a ship in from Russia called "Captain Man" from Vladivostok (yes, I read Cyrillic).

Shlumped on the bed after the 10-miles of trotting under the open sky & shluffed til havdalah-time. Then we packed up, thanked our hosts immensely & headed for our next destination:

A miqveh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google