Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

IS IT OVER YET?

BS"D


My Peasch this year loosely consisted of the following:
Saturday - disoriented from the lack of sleep & unending physical labour - imagine 200 years of it! First night Seder was at the shul. It was fun! R' Schachar lead a happymaking Seder in his kittel. We all crowded into the chairs, chockerblock against the tables. I sat between Joel & Meira, our Rebbetzin, & across from one of our more funky South Africans. Our crowd included many colourful characters, no cursing the goyim, not even opening the door, but releasing nonethless :)

Sunday - all a blur - shul, sleep, stroll. Please forgive me, but I have issues with the double chagim we must celebrate in galut. I find the 2nd seder is totally annoying & anticlimactic, so I always make sure it is at a different place with different people (well, except Joel..., but whatever. At least the turkey was great, the purim rap, G@d writes straight with crooked lines...

Monday shul...politics - apparently we can't even get through a whole chag without starting in on the evil machinations going on in our synagogue, which frankly people should just leave at home '+>

During the chol I gardened, mended clothing...

Friday erev Shabbes/chag we spent part of the aftenoon at Spanish Banks. We just sat on a log under a tree & took in the sunshine, watching people enjoying picnics, sailing, volleyball, the beautiful view, barges, light breeze, dogs, joggers...
...aaahhh...

We picked up copious fruit & veggies at Capers, including beeswax candles for chag & Shabbes & yizkor for my poor Dad, z"l.
Rushed to get ready for chag then shared dinner with R' Schachar & Meira.
We had an extremely long service in the a.m.
After lunch I read Jewish Views of the Afterlife by Simcha Paull Raphael. Fascinating.
Slept.
Walked the sea wall - very pensive. Searching.
I ended the holiday as I played Othello by myself - I'm always black...& I always win.

Count that Omer & pray for Revelation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google