Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

MY TOP-TEN HEROES

BS"D


(maybe or maybe not in order of heroness...herocity...whatever)

1. my Sofer - a True Teacher
2. Mohandas K. Gandhi - Ahimsa, man
3. Mowlana Jalaludin Rumi - Sufi mystic, poet & ecstatic lover of G@d
4. Ofra Chaza - unbelieveable Yemenite-Israeli songstress
5. Norman Jewison - greatest film director of all time
6. The Maid of Ludomir (Chanah Rachel Werbermacher) - a woman who was called "rebbe" in the 19th century
7. Rabbi Victor Hillel Reinstein - my first rabbi, now striking out on his own
8. Timothy Findlay - stunning author of unusually human stories
9. RambaN - need I say more?
10. Shel Silverstein - I'll let you Google him yourself...

5 Comments:

Blogger shanna said...

Re: #10...check out the dedication in ALitA. It's not me (of course), but that made for a very happy childhood nonetheless.

11:57 a.m.  
Blogger gg said...

I love me some Shel Silvrstein, but I don't know who any of the other people you mentioned are.

1:25 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Shanna - I Googled ALitA & got all kinds of bizarre unrelated stuff. What *is* it?
Genetic Mishap - hey, that's why I gave you links on all these people, so you can go reed up on 'em. Gotta educate the public, man.

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger shanna said...

Shorthand for "A Light in the Attic." Sorry.

7:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the thousands of shining examples, teachers, leaders, prophets, and scholars that the Jewish nation has produced, I must say your list is quite pathetic.

Rabbidaveataljazeeradotcom

2:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google