Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

BS"D

SOME GROWN-UPS ARE JUST CHILDREN ANGRY AT G@D, BUT IN OLDER BODIES

STILL August 16th...
Drive into NYC with R' Dave, cruising through New Paltz, a cute little town with a community oriented, earthy flare if I ever did see one. It was a gorgeous, sweet day. Althought the country is where my heart is, I was happy to be heading back to Manhattan. I had never spent any time east during the summers (well, *very* east, like Europe or the Middle East, but not North America), so was very cautious about how humid my work environment was. NY State wasn't as bad as Iowa, for sure, but R' Dave had air conditioning in his apartment, which was a help.
I remember last year while writing the Megilat Esther for Shaarey Tefilah that each time I cooked a meal the qlaf would curl up & of course I would panic. Even with all the windows & doors open, plus the kitchen & bathroom fans on, making dinner would still curl the parchment. It was fine, barukh haShem, but it didn't look good to me, & of course I delivered the Megilah in perfect shape. Even though it's more humid here than that, the Sefer qlaf does not curl. Probably just because the pieces are larger. Thank G@d.
I called Shuli from R' Dave's phone - it was great to hear her voice. I sure do hope we can see each other during what little time I have left in the USA.
Nissin & Sarah cme over to R' Dave's & we visited - I really like them a lot. I feel so lucky being brought into the same orbits as there special people. Also, I met a very holy man tonight named Dudi. He told truly wonderful, hilarious stories about his adventures in trusting G@d. I admire him very much for that & could benefit by emulating his acts of release. When he heard what I do for my living, he paused & looked extremely thoughtful. Really went far "in", if you know what I mean. I quietly said that reading & hearing the Torah is a community, not an individual, obligation & women are members of the community. So what would a woman not be equally obligated to write Sifrei Torah. "Maybe I should say a brakhah. This is the first time I've seen a soferet."
I was deeply humbled & looked at my shoes, blushing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google