Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, November 01, 2004

BS"D

BUBBLES OF JUDGEMENT!

Friday, August 6th
Froze out in the tent. A rather large furred creature was creeping into the shadows as I approached the main building in the middle of the night. I found it difficult to sleep in on the ground after so many whip lashes & so much bending over the Sefer. I woke to the powerful hypnotic chant of Shefa Gold leading Shachrit. We had blintzes for breakfast - I thought of Mum & how much she would enjoy these - I remained sitting alone. Charna introduced herself to me - it was she & her shulkids who raised over $200 for the Womens' Torah Project. People are starting to realize who I am & strangers are approaching to welcome me into Elat Chayyim & wish me shalom. I washed & davenned again. I tried to call Bena & Gustavo in NYC. There is something unnatural going on with that pay phone by the dining hall. I set up in the small dining room & worked on the Sefer - I missed writing SO much over the last several days of endless driving across the continent. There were bubbles in the d'yo (ink) I'd never encountered, & when they hang under the tip of my kulmus they pop at contact with the qlaf & smudge the letters. This must be from being sealed for so long & getting jostled around in the car. It was a hard re-beginning today, that's for sure. Rayzl with intense brown eyes, sable hair & a velvet voice came to me. She asked about my work, the Project, this journey. She was enormously gracious & kind & made me feel very warmly welcomed. She made signs for the doors of the room so I would not be disturbed & invitations were exchanged. I appreciated this, as I didn't want to take up anyone else's space, since I was paying only to stay there & eat & was not part of any program. I continued working with my difficult ink, thinking, "every letter I write today is one I do not have to write tomorrow..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google