Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, September 12, 2003

B"H

BAT OUT OF HELL

Sunday, August 31st

I called my sofer at 6 p.m. I'd called him a couple of times earlier, but it was busy.
So we're meeting at 6 p.m. tomorrow, "...unless tomorrow is very different & we can meet at 5:30 or one pm...I'll call you around 11:30..."
Sigh...
I'm just relaxing & journalling right now. I'll finish my homework in a bit &, depending on how I feel, I'll stroll to the netcafé & Shai Koenig...you know what? Scratch that. No, I'm not going. I want my sofer to fix me up with internet at home tomorrow, so why would I drag my fershtinken carcass all the way to the Russian Compound if I don't absolutely have to? :)
Tomorrow I'll get cash & groceries, then do my laundry (which involves sitting), meet with my sofer & deal with our learning process & my net situ. THEN I'll take care of my web needs, banking, etc. I'll be fine :D

Is HaShem *really* going to let me live long enough to fully enjoy these brakhot (blessings)?

"You gotta have the guts to go & sit out there & do your thing & let people throw rocks & bottles & whatever at you." - Meatloaf

Meatloaf is my hero. How could he know that one day he'd inspire & give hope to a potential Soferet ST"M? May he live a long & happy life...

Did my homework. It was good. ALL of my letters have improved noticeably, particularly Dalet, Bet & Hey. I finally got the hang of the legs on Dalet & Hey, so I'm quite pleased. I filled the klaf with multiple words made up of the letters my sofer has demonstrated for me - the only letters permitted to me. I went crazy on the last two lines & did Alef, Tet, Samekh & Quf. I couldn't stand it anymore. I understand the Zen-like discipline I require of myself to be present with each letter repeatedly in order to beautifully perfect their forms, not just make them kosher, but I'm not quite there yet. I must perfect myself before I can in turn perfect the Alefbet.
I had a war with this current quill. Each time I sharpen it, I take a tad too much off the sides & am left with too narrow a nib width. This means I have to re-carve the whole thing, which takes time. It's fine, because my hand can always use a different activity to balance the constant controlled movements & contracted state it must maintain during the lettering process. A change is as good as a rest. Thing is, when I re-carve I'm so careful to *not* take too much off that I end up with a slightly dull nib, which makes the letter edges less sharp & it's really hard to make the tagin.
Practice, practice, practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google