Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

BRAND NEW NON-TITLE FOR THIS BLOG ENTRY

בס"ד


18 Elul

All the "blockquote" text below was written much earlier than this date, but dated for today so that it would stay at the top of my blog. Everything that falls between this text & the "blockquote" was in fact written in a tranquil, reflective time on September 22nd of this year.



"What's in store for this next solar cycle?

I am writing from the ferry, on my way from xxx to xxx. It's still (barely) morning, so the rolling water twinkles silver when we turn with the sun on our port side.

From this day to top side of the Earth will just get darker. This day of equinox, this day of Mabon.

I press through blue-grey corduroy to the city at the edge of this fabric.

Equipped with my map & ferry schedule, I will wander today. As I have done my whole life & as I will do for the rest of my days.

The sea undulates as though it conceals countless lovers.

What is the gematria of 37? ??. Double-chai plus one?

How do I thank G@d every day?

I sit here in Caf� xxx on xxx, pondering my future surrounded by the sounds of Japanese girls & the sights of teenaged art that can only be described as a cross between Dr Seuss & Salvador Dali.
How apt.

How do I honour my existence?
G@d put me here for something. & G@d will take me away from here, too. In the interim, how do I cling to my purpose meaningfully?

Pray
Take care of myself & others
Remain conscious of all the world's Divinity
Breathe."



I'm finally able to access the internet fairly regularly, but am so far behind with blogging & e-mail that it will take me some time to respond to your messages & comments, etc. Thanks for your patience!!
:)

ADDENDUM
August 31st
Thank G@d we're finally home now, exhausted, a little worse for wear, but safe in Vancouver. & don't believe that lie I wrote above - it was next to impossible to access the internet the past two months. I'll do my best to keep up with your comments & post about the rest of our experiences, after I answer the 1,200 e-mails (none of them spam) waiting for me in my Inbox...

ADDENDUM PLUS
September 7th
Still wading through e-mails, but seeing a Glimmer of the Light at the End of the proverbial Tunnel, thank G@d. My list of objectives now includes reading & replying to the comments you left in the past couple of months! Hurrah!
ps - stay tuned for pictures...

15 Comments:

Blogger WHY WHY WHY said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:00 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד

As I state in item # 4 of my blog policy:

"4. I wish my journalling here to reflect a transparent experience for my readers. As I am not a "blog purist", I reserve the right to edit or delete the contents of my blog. Having said this, I will do this only to:
- correct spelling errors
- add or update links & posts (which will be labelled as such)
- remove highly offensive material like cursing, dirty talk or other abusive speech, including that which does not further the discussion
- remove advertisements, spam, lashon hara (gossip) & motzey shem ra (lies)"

To that end, I deleted the above comment because of it's racist flavour. The commentor is bsnned from this blog.

11:05 a.m.  
Blogger Evenewra said...

I was wondering why I hadn't seen anything on here for awhile. Did you know this blog entry says September instead of August?

4:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

evenewra - Aviel is on the road and has, I believe, spotty internet access. I think this entry was post-dated so that it stays on the top of thr blog, as she fills in stuff below.

7:31 a.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

Argh! Shanna, thank you for pointing that out. Evenewra, thank you for asking the question that led to her pointing it out. Aviel, NO thank you for doing that! I've been checking your blog regularly and wondering why there were no updates even though you said there would be, and here you've been posting all along under the "latest" post! Now I have so much to catch up on...

10:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Aviel has transported herself into the future. Why doesn't anyone consider that possibility?

:)

10:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aviel,

I'm off your blogroll. [Sniff]

In other news, I recomended that
Soferet be added to the blogroll of
this site
http://www.maryams.net/dervish/
in an email sent to the author.

Take care,

UW

12:51 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Both Jay & Shanna are absolutely correct, but in mysterious ways which shall not be spoken of.

UW, so sorry about the omission - I thought I'd included you when I re-did the site up & I certainly intended to keep you on my list!

Well, back at it!

5:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:51 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
I deleted the above 2 comments because they were adverts from anonymous spammers. Please see my first comment, second from the top.

12:20 p.m.  
Blogger Peter said...

The New York Times ran a piece on how spammers have hit the blogging world. I notice that you, like so many of us, have set up the spambot-foiling word verification protocol.

Be warned: it doesn't stop all of them! I've had mine installed for a few weeks now, and one got through last week.

12:26 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Thanks, Peter. I'd heard of it, but never been hit before today. & I *JUST* installed the word verification a moment before you posted your comment :)
Glad to know it works!

12:40 p.m.  
Blogger Shir-Yaakov שיר–יעקב said...

בס''ד

Won't you PLEASE tell me how you transported yourself into the future?!

ש''י

9:19 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
I haven't, Rabbi, I simply wanted to keep that post at the top of the page until I caught up on my blog entries (like Shanna said above). Is there another way I can do that without using a date stamp?
I'm all ears :)

10:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google