Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

WHAT A RIP-OFF!

בס"ד


So I used to buy this $9 wine at my local BCLDB. It was the oddest beverage ever: organic blueberry wine from Newfoundland called Rodrigues complete with two hekshers.
& boy was it tasty!
A Pesadika eastern Canadian organic fruit wine with a Portuguese name. How weird.
& then the evil powers that be discontinued the drink & I was sad :(
Only today did I rediscover it in City Square at a specialty wine boutique - they actually had a kosher/organic section!
I was so excited until I saw the price tag:
$21!
I'm so torn. Maybe I'll buy some for a Shabbes treat, but not regularly, with that mark-up!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a bottle of their raspberry wine sitting here at home...I think maybe you've inspired me to pen it up this Shabbat!

5:16 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Finally, someone talks to me about my drinking ;+>
I had no idea these wines were available in the USA. Have you ever had the raspberry version before, Shanna? How is it?

9:54 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether we've had teh Rodriguez raspberry wine wefore...we have definitely had another raspberry wine, though. that was delicious.

I don't think we'll get to this one tonight, since our dessert (chocolate cakes, one soaked in raspberry syrup and one soaked in Frangelico, along with fresh raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries, among whichI found a higher than usual number of bugs probably as retribution for my statemnts of last week) are already flavored enough and this wine will overpower them, I think. It would probably go nicely with cheesecake, though, so maybe we can have some campany over for dessert one Shavuot afternoon (eek...10 days from now!) and try it then.

I don't think we have any wine for dessert tonight, actually, but we're opening two bottles for dinner (one guest is allergic to red wine, and we are having a beef main course and I'm dying to try the Gan Eden 97 reserve cab that we recently acquired...plus a cab would destroy the taste of our appetizer so we'll have a white for Kiddush and first course to compliment it). Then there's the Scotch/liqueur course that comes after the main course (even though my Scotch collection has been somewhat depleted), plus the alcohol content of the cakes themselves (both made with Godiva, plus the Frangelico as described). Oh, and dinner won't start until 9:00 or later, so we should all be plenty sleepy.

I'm happy to talk to you about your drinking anytime. Now, are you sure you don't want to come for Shabbat?

10:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - and the Rodriguez is available at The Butcherie here in town for $11 (or maybe $12) per bottle (U.S., not Canadian). I don't know whether that evens out to a better price for you or not, but if it is and you'll be in town this August, you may want to call ahead and see if they can order some for you. I definitely saw the raspberry and I'm sure they can get the blueberry.

10:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmph...our bottles are 375 mL...if you're paying $21 for 750 mL, even $21 U.S., that's more or less the same price!

8:27 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Your invitation to Shabbes was mighty tempting, Shanna, thank you. If only it weren't a 4,000 mile trip ;+> I think that would take me out of our eruv...

...perhaps when I'm in Boston this August...

...so it sounds like you guys get teensy little bottles & that the price has for some reason skyrocketed. I wonder why :(

8:35 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Oh, & I'll definitely be interested in sampling your scotch collection & talking shop about that!

8:36 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Scotch collection is definitely available for the sampling! I'll try to pull in some interesting guests along with it.

BTW, there is really no way we can get to Elat Chayim in August. I need to save up my vacation time for the fall chaggim. :(

6:17 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Aw, :(, well, we're heading your way after I teach my Hebrew Calligraphy & Midrash course at Elat Chayyim, so perhaps we four can finally meet over scotch then!

2:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google