Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'M SO GLAD WE HAD THIS TIME TOGETHER...

BS"D


Well, my teaching at Pardes is over. What kind, consciencious people run that establishment! I see how they have earned the excellent reputation they so richly deserved.

At the closing banquet, one of the Australian students stood to speak about how a very close friend of hers was killed last week in Lebanon. He was 23.

A teacher rose to thank everyone for supporting her through the war because her eldest son was in Lebanon. A paramedic. I cringed.

It was all very touching & made the fact that Jerusalem had stayed relatively quiet during the whole crisis seem like even more of a miracle. So, thank G@d.

I got really good reviews from my students (because this is my blog, so everything is all about me, me, me...did I mention me? ok. me.), which is a huge blessing. I didn't have a large class, but they're often smaller in the summer (so my teacher R' Dov Laimon who normally teaches this class told me) & this has the benefit of my being able to spend more time with each individual student helping them sharpen up their letters. So, yay.

I also have taken on some new female students "on the side", as they say, & am very pleased & impressed with their work.

In the evening I went to a single's tzedaqah (charity) night where we made up gift packages for the Israeli children who had to spend part of their summer feeling terrorized in bomb shelters rather than at camp or whatever else their family had planned. It was also a schmooze for single Jews which was fun & cool. The added bonus was that I now have 2 shadchanim (male matchmakers) & 2 shadchaniyot (female matchmakers) keeping an eye out for a Good Husband for me.

See? I told you this was all about me ;)

G'nite!




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google