Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

WINTER RAGE

בס"ד
3 Sh'vat


I should be asleep right now, but the storm outside is so violent that the house creaks & the windows shake. I'm surprised I can still sap this mysterious wireless connexion from I don't know where. The ferries have been cancelled until further notice, so I may not be able to return to Vancouver tomorrow. We'll see.

I have deeply appreciated my visit here, the town where I grew up, the old friends at synagogue, the faces I've had the privilege to lock eyes with over Torah.

I've been teaching this week, so thank G@d will pay the rent. I've also managed to get some writing in, but still no e-mail. Ever since my computer reset itself to January 1970 over a week & a half ago & forgot all my preferences, permissions & passwords, the electronic end of my business has been stalled. All the more so since I have been travelling to meet Jews on opposite sides of this continent & greet them with the neshamot, the souls, of the Hebrew letters. When people are thirsty for G@d, you give them drink.

As usual, teaching has been a humbling experience, but gently so, thank G@d. Even the children in the Hebrew school brought me a little lower today, bless them.

Chesed/Gevurah consideration: How to remain open & yet retain integrity?
Lailah tov


Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , .

4 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

Aviel- perhaps that is why I have not been able to get my e-mails to you- January 1970- whoa. Probably not appropriate here, but I sent the check off for the class! Can't wait to start!

7:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aviel,

I sent you an email earlier this week on behalf of the Canadian Federation of Jewish Students about possibly speaking at our Western conference in a few weeks. My phone number is 778.881.0140. While a little odd to communicate it this way, the conference is fast approaching and I would wlcome an opportunity to speak with you about it at your earliest convenience.
Jeff Bradshaw

3:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aviel, it's wonderful to see you writing. The storm was milder in Vancouver but still kept me up much of the night. If you were to call or email, I would like that.
-- Laura Duhan Kaplan

10:33 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Regina - thanks for the heads up - I'll look out for it.
Jeff - I'll call you.
R' Laura - will do.

9:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google