Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, July 05, 2004

BS"D

DIVERSITY & THE JEWISH STEREOTYPE

Sometimes I am challenged by those who judge me as not "looking Jewish". I find this strange, because as Jews ought to know, "Jewish" can look like anything. Why? Because we were scattered amongst the nations. For millenia we have lived from China to Scotland & have taken on local characteristics through environmental adaptation & conversion, or, very often, rape. So I don't understand why so many Jews believe the Ashkenazi Jewish stereotypical look is the only shape & colour Jews come in.
As it happens, I carry the blood of many people integrated with my Ashkefard forebears. I don't have curly hair, I'm not olive-skinned, I am who I am. Wherever I go, my identity goes with me. These are the genetics I carry & the DNA that I am embodied with. All of these diverse people make up me, & I am from all these rich cultures. & I am very happy the have such a broad heritage. Barukh HaShem!

Even the letters of the Alefbet are made up of many components. Take for example a midrash on Tzadi, when she asks G@d to begin Creation with her (as told by R' Joel C. Dobin):
"...enters Tzadi & says: Lord of the Universe, may it please you to create with me the world, inasmuch as I am the sign of the righteous (TZaDiQYM) & of yourself who is called "righteous" as it is written, "For the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness" (Tehilim/Psalms 11:7), & therefore it is appropriate to create the world with me." The Lord made the answer: "O you are Tzadi & you signify righteousness but you must be concealed, you may not come out in the open so much. For you consist of the letter Nun surmounted by the letter Yud (representing the female & male aspects). & this is the mystery of the creation of the first human who was created with two faces (male & female combined)."

G@d's will as an unfolding revelation. All in good time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google