Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, January 30, 2006

FORGIVENESS - EASY & NECESSARY AS BREATH-FLOW

בס"ד
Rosh Chodesh Sh'vat


The letter Hey has the easiest voice. The sound of Hey is only your out-breath, the exhalation of prana. It needs no effort, no motion of lips, tongue or mouth (Tanchuma Bereishis 16).

Our spirit (ru'ach) lives in our breath (also ru'ach), is our breath. The Kabalah says that when two people are talking together and their faces are so close they inhale the other's breath, they are sharing souls. According to Chasidism, our souls are too vast to inhabit our bodies; they penetrate and surround them.

G@D created two worlds: this one with the letter Hey ("Bid'var HaShem shamayim na'asu uv'ru'ach piv kol tzeva'am" - "By the word of HaShem the heavens were made and by the breath of His mouth all their hosts" Psalms 33:6). Why? Our traditions tell us that this world is like the letter Hey, easy to fall out the bottom. Also like this world there is always a tiny space, which allows another entrance. This is t'shuvah, repentance (Menachos 29b). This teaches us to leave a small opening in our hearts to let others back in when they have hurt us and wish to be forgiven (Tomer Devorah 1:7).

Yesterday, during Shabbes announcements, Rabbi Harry Brechner here at my home shul in Victoria taught us that we must never get discouraged when things look hopeless - that shalom is actually the natural state of the Earth & all who inhabit it, & that no matter what, we will achieve peace - because there is no other choice.
With each calamity we are brought closer.
May shalom reign!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm struggling with forgiving someone who doesn't respect me. I'm not ready to forgive yet. I'm working on, "This is her issue, not mine," and "My own personal authority is great enough that I don't need hers." Somehow it's more satisfying to be angry and afraid (a victim) than to just be too good for that garbage.

I guess having more self-confidence allows for easier forgiveness. You feel safer when you trust yourself more than someone else's opinion of you.

Of course, that's just for the sort of situation I have right now. There are a million other scenarios with other dynamics.

It's good to have you back. Remember to call me sometime.

6:23 p.m.  
Blogger Regina said...

I love this- "The Kabalah says that when two people are talking together and their faces are so close they inhale the other's breath, they are sharing souls."
In the States, there is such a to-do about having your own personal space- don't get too close- you're invading my personal space!
Forgiveness is really about breathing in each other's souls- being a part of them in that way, you have to forgive, because essentially you are forgiving yourself...
This is beautiful, Aviel- I so enjoy your posts.

12:40 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
oy Oy OYVEYNU, Evenewra! I am in such a similar place as you right now. Someone who I love dearly as my own soul & who will not communicate with me. I'm so sorry. It's so very difficult a struggle - as all learning experiences are, if we do them right, with consciousness, so as not to repeat them...
...may you walk through this hard place easily & upright.

I won't forget to call :}

I may be "stranded" in Victoria, as the Winter storms have stopped the ferries for now. But once I'm back in Vancouver I'll be sure to connect with you, bli neder.

RC"J - Thank you...I'm glad you enjoy my posts
:} but really, all I do is write about Torah, so really G@d deserves all the credit
:)

12:04 a.m.  
Blogger Shir-Yaakov שיר–יעקב said...

!HalleluyaH!

8:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aviel. All you do is write about Torah? What exactly is your Jan.11 post about Power Puff Girls?

2:52 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Shir-Yaakov, transplendenat to see you commenting here again :)
Anon - check out my Blog Policy.

9:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google